The Internet has come to be the means of educating yourself on a variety of topics including medical conditions. Unfortunately, running a search will often lead to inaccurate or incorrect information based on someone’s personal opinion or poor scientific evidence. We have compiled a few excellent sources of medical information. These are all official websites that maintain the most up-to-date information on just about any medical condition you can imagine.
Health Education Websites
These are a few excellent sources of medical information. Just type the topic into the search line on the sites or choose from the list of conditions in the index provided.
ACOG.ORG – American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists
Pamphlets for OB/GYN Conditions and Procedures are available to read online or order by mail.
AAFP.ORG – American Academy of Family Physicians
The American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP) is one of the largest national medical organizations, representing over 106,000 family physicians, family medicine residents, and medical students nationwide.
Important Women's Health Topics
- Abnormal Uterine Bleeding
- Birth Control (e.g. Nexplanon and Nuvaring, also see Mirena below)
- Ectopic Pregnancy/Early Pregnancy
- Condyloma (Genital Warts)
- Sexually Transmitted Infections
- IUD (e.g. Mirena or ParaGard)
- Evaluation of the Infertile Couple
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)
- Vaginitis – Yeast/BV
- Postmenopausal Symptoms
- Screening for Breast Cancer
- Chronic Pelvic Pain
- Group B Streptococcus & Pregnancy
- Sexual Problems in Women
- Treatment of abnormal Pap Smears
- Urinary Incontinence
- Kegel Exercises
- LEEP Procedure
- Common Breast Feeding Problems
- Painful Bladder Syndrome or Interstitial Cystitis
- Urinary Tract Infection
- Hysterectomy – Robotics/Minimally Invasive
- Postmenopausal Bleeding